Thursday, April 29, 2004

Apology To Myself

Well, I feel like I need to apologize, mostly for feeling like I wasn't allowed to be upset the past two days when I did have every right to be. There is so much inner turmoil and to deny myself the right to feel it is deny myself the chance to work on it - and work through it. So, I'm not sorry for venting so deeply the last few days and I'm trying to be more positive about my situation.

It's funny how you write such personal things on the web, even knowing full well that millions of people, even family, could come across it. I hope to God that nobody I really know ever reads these ramblings, except Venti of course.

My God things have been rough - that's true, but there are good things in there to be found. I am trying very hard to write only about those things tonight because I hear it's all about perspective.

Perhaps the lesson I need to learn most with Grande is that things are not always what they seem. Tonight he hurt my feelings something fierce and I took it very personally, anger welled up inside of me so badly that I panicked at the physical sensations of it. Venti came home shortly after the whole episode, after Grande had stormed up to his room, and gave me a fresh perspective on the whole thing. He said he would bet anything that Grande was up in his room sleeping - just like he was the night that he refused to open his door. After Venti went up to change, he came down and confirmed it - that yes, Grande was definitely sound asleep. So I started to think ... what time did he go to bed last night? No earlier than 2:30am - and he said he'd gotten up at 6:30, so of course he was tired. So, what I thought was definitely sheer hatred and using me as a doormat, was - well, some of that but also the fact that he was very tired.

So - what's the solution? Make sure that he gets to bed at a reasonable hour? It's after midnight right now and the "episode" happened at about 5:30, he's still sleeping. I wonder if he'll come down so we can talk about the whole thing? I hope he doesn't, I hope he sleeps until tomorrow morning and then when he gets home from school we can talk.

I really do love him so very much, I wish he respected me as a mother. Venti says that he treats me as if I'm his sister - which would seem more realistic since I had him so young - hell, I didn't do a very good job of standing up against my ex-mother in law when it came to her trying to steal him away from me and raise him as if he were her own, God I was so young. But, I know better now, and I'm trying to work with what I've got. I just have to try to remember that I'm 32, not 17. I'm the parent. I'm an adult. He is the kid, he gets that role and I get the parent role and although it's going to take a big shift in perspective, it's something solid I can work with. There, that felt positive!

Our financial situation. It's not permanent, and even if it turns out to be - I've got my kids and my husband and we love each other alot. We'll figure something out - but regardless, we'll have each other.

(Man, I'm really fighting hard not to bitch about things!!!! This is difficult!!)

We have a nice home with enough room and we live in a good school district - the kids are doing better with their grades than they have in a long time, the kids in the neighborhood are generally pretty nice and it's also a safe neighborhood.

We are 3 hours from the Atlantic Ocean - and although it's not nearly as impressive as the Pacific, it's there if we need to get away. (Biting my lip...get away to the crowds in NJ? **groan**)

My family. Oi. Okay, I can do this. I can't fix my sisters drug addiction or control addiction, I can't fix my other sisters selfishness, nor my other sisters aloofness, and I can't make my mother love me any differently than she already does. There is no making my brother remember that I still love him.
There is no making anyone do anything they don't want to do, I have to remember that.

My anxiety - well, I have cut my xanax use down to 3mg a day from 6mg a day and I'm really proud of that - and I am, in fact, taking further strides to overcome the debilitating level of anxiety I have. I have stayed on the Buspar that my family doctor gave to me and I will be seeing a psychiatrist tomorrow for more in depth guidance on how to beat these panic attacks. I know that even if he pushes a drug on me that I don't like, such as one that I know will cause me to gain 50 pounds, that there are others to try.

I have to remember that I am not completely agoraphobic, my anxiety does not actually hold me a total prisoner in my own home, I can go out with my husband, I can drive by myself if necessary, I can go shopping and well - do just about anything. I also have to focus on the fact that once upon a time, I couldn't even do that. Two whole years where I couldn't even leave my house or I'd panic and feel like I was going to pass out. I am much, much better.

So, with the help of my family doctor, a psychiatrist, then finally - what I've been waiting forever for - a psychologist. It will be $55 each visit but well worth it. I'll think of it as money going towards buying back my life, and that can only be a very positive thing!


No comments: