Wednesday, November 24, 2004

It's Turkey Day

Wow, what a suckfest - we're not even making a Turkey since we're traveling to my mom's house this weekend to celebrate Thanksgiving and we've got about $50 to our name at the moment. I did, however, manage to buy two pumpkin pies. I hate that we don't know anyone around here and can't celebrate Thanksgiving with friends, at least, today. I wouldn't have mind (minded?) cooking a big dinner - I love that. Cleaning it up - different story. It would just be really nice not to spend the holiday alone - the four of us sitting here staring at each other wishing Taco Bell was open....and wishing we wouldn't have already watched the two new movies that came out this week. (Harry Potter and The Terminal - the Terminal was great, btw.)

We went and toured a teeny bit of DC yesterday - went to the National Archives and the Museum of Natural History (Dinosaur Museum.) I liked the Hope Diamond - that was cool, as it always has been every time I've ever visited the museum. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be the women who have worn those pieces of jewelry in those exhibits, God they're beautiful and just ... I WANT!!!! :(

You know what I miss about museums from my childhood? The feel. No more hardwood floors and giant windows, no tour guides, no "take your time and enjoy." All of that is way long gone. The Smithsonian today was like a ride at Disney - when you finally DO push your way through the door (and get through security) you've become a part of the flow of people all moving along, and don't you dare fuck up that motion by stopping to stare at something. I was literally pushed along the perimeter of the Rotunda at the National Archives (where the original copies of the Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights and Constitution are) because God forbid I should want to put my face really close to the glass and scrutinize it. Afterall, why would I want to bask in the glorious moment of knowing that my face is like, 3 inches from something our founding father's actually touched??? I fucking hate people who are pushy - and so I was pushed through too quickly and didn't got to ogle. I also touched the glass and got a warning from the security guard. Oops! See...that kind of stuff didn't happen when I was an elementary school kid going on fieldtrips to DC - it was all so different, people were different, I suppose. Oh, I don't mean the security guard - she was great, it's the people who didn't feel as though I was keeping the wash of people moving quickly enough.

You travel to see these great things - what in the name of all hell is the fucking rush???

Anyway, I also miss how museums used to smell - I miss the velvet ropes. Today I took pictures of my son in front of a gaudily painted "Made Possible by a Generous Donation From the Orken Company" insect mural. Yes, a pest control company paid for a giant exhibit in the Smithsonian. About bugs. I'm still trying to figure out how many ways that's tripping on irony.

However, the pictures of my son were fucking adorable. Both sons, actually - I have great looking kids :)



See?

Anyway, so we have to travel to Maryland on Friday - of all fucking days we need to drive around DC on Black Friday!?? Ugh - what the hell is wrong with my family - why couldn't we have done it today - it's turkey day TODAY! Not Saturday - it's like, who's going to be festive by then anyway - we're all gonna be getting into Christmas gear wishing we were at home putting our trees up and shopping (those of us who do have money.) Who doesn't GET this??

So, no segues, I put pink streaks in my hair, they look really cool and it's really going to piss my family off - which was my intention. I am certain I need to bring this up with a therapist. Maybe she'll say that I believe if I give them something as outrageous as a few hot pink streaks in my hair to focus on they'll ignore my "problem" with panic attacks, which is my attempt to mask my inner shame about having anxiety issues in the first place. Hmm...I wonder if that's true. Wish I was a psychologist, I'd have just made $120.



No comments: