Monday, November 15, 2004

Rambling Because I'm Sick of Politics

This is my anti-politics rant about my life in general, which I think is important, too. I hear and read so much political bullshit all week and I need a break, so here it goes...

We threw away our Halloween pumpkins tonight - tomorrow the garbage guys will have to pick them up. I wonder how many stupid pumpkins they have to see in the days and weeks following Halloween? You know how jack-o-lanterns get, right? They look like old men without teeth. Venti made one of our small pumpkins look like Mike Wazowski from ... oh, shit, what's that Pixar movie...Monsters, Inc. Now, two weeks after Halloween it just looks like a one-eyed old man, caved in mouth and wrinkly...his "lid" fell into his face as well. I also didn't use cheap candles to light these suckers up this year - basically because it was an hour before trick-or-treat when the pumpkins were carved and I didn't have any cheap candles. So, I bet you that there's ten bucks worth of candles inside of those two pumpkins, now sitting by the trash cans. Makes me wonder how many dollars worth of candles were thrown away for this very same reason. I bet it would boggle the mind.

You know those frozen "entrees" you can get at Walmart or Food Lion or any grocery store, really - sometimes they cost less than a dollar? Well, I got two of the "pizza" ones at Walmart the other day for .87 cents. They didn't suck. The only problem is that they are too easy to make and so you find yourself at 2am going, "I'm hungry." Then you eat one and get heartburn.

Being poor makes people fat. I bet if I were a multi-millionaire and had a craving for something to eat at 2am, I would have had hummus or something. Because, you know, when you barely make enough to live on - frozen pizza in a nukeable cardboard box is possible, but $5.99 a pound hummus - and ya gotta buy pita bread, too - well, it's just not gonna happen. Hell, going to Taco Bell is a cheaper dinner for our whole family some nights than actually preparing a meal. I was looking at the flyer for Giant, our local grocery store - and even lunch meat - and not the good stuff - like, Tavern Ham - was on sale for $7.99 a pound. Who ARE these people that can afford that?? And didn't it used to be that making a sandwich was supposed to be inexpensive and "poor food?" Hell, not around here it isn't. So instead of hummus, or a nice simple sandwich, I'm eating a slab of questionable pizza that was cheap. Yeah - we're fat because we're poor, no doubt in my mind about that at all. Don't even bother factoring in how fucking depressing it is to be broke - which in turn makes you just feel like you need comfort food - it would blow your mind.

Tonight as I stood on my front porch - or perch - (I've got a higher than most townhouse entryway) I tried to figure out how many townhouses there were in my neighborhood. Our row has eight - and I could see 15 rows - so I figured, eventually, that there must be about 250 homes. And how many of these people do I know? None. I've spoken to four of them but it was short and awkward and more like "Oh, I really ought to say something or I'll just look like a total ass." I have tried to strike up a conversation before - it just doesn't work here. Nobody actually "lives" here - everyone is from somewhere else, so I'm not surprised.

I have been overeating for the past week. I don't know why. I want to believe it's because I'm pregnant. I wish I was sometimes. I don't normally stuff my face for no reason - so something must be up, maybe I'm depressed about my son disowning me for his fathers thin, blonde, more active plaything. She and his grandmother (satan) stole my baby and that just sucks.

It also sucks that I send him email and he never writes back. Never calls. I don't think I'll get him anything more than a card for his birthday or Christmas this year. I mean, it's the thought that counts, right? Basing your satisfaction on a gift by it's monetary value is just so base, don't you think? I do. So - I'll send him a card that says "Way to go sweetie on getting to be 16 and finally being able to get your drivers license...please don't drive an American car - you will die if you're hit by anything more than a shopping cart. Love, always, Mom. PS: Sorry the '91 Saab we were going to give you but you said you didn't want was such a suckfest for you - we're selling it and buying an enormous television - all Tivo'd up and cool as shit!!! Kisses!!!"

I sometimes wonder how much it would cost to transfer our entire movie collection onto DVD's...just ditch the VHS's and buy DVD replacements. We've got over 200 movies - I guess it would cost a lot but would be worth it as far as saving space goes. DVD's look cool all lined up - except those dumb-ass special edition boxes that are wider and thicker than the rest - there really ought to be more rigid standards.

My evil MIL never wrote back so I'm assuming that my Ace shut her the hell up. That's nice. Knowing that 'ha ha - I won." I know she got the email and I even resent it - but she still can't answer the question "what exactly did I do to 'start all this.'" I'm kind of bummed, though - I wanted a more difficult opponent to debate with. I needed some drama in my life because I'm totally fucking bored.

I'm going to visit with family for Thanksgiving and I like the shock value of them thinking I'm a freak - last time I went I had blue streaks in my hair - this time I should go with something bolder, like REALLY red, not sure if it would show up in my medium brown hair though and I'm sure as hell not bleaching spots so I can put bright streaks in - errrr....wait, that's not a totally horrible idea. Oh, God, I totally ought to get one of those fake eyebrow rings - I'll have to search for one...my sister and my mom would just freak. Heh. I'll be seeing my brother and his wife, whom I haven't seen in four years. Well, at least we've all gained weight.

Such a close, loving family, huh?

Watched the movie Elf tonight - it didn't totally suck, I guess. I'm a big Will Ferrell fan (but not to the point where I'm certain that I've spelled his name properly.) I feel like I'm cheating the universe in that the guy who loads the DVD rental machine at our local grocery store always puts the new releases in one day before they're supposed to be released - we always go on Monday to try to get the new movies, which we most often do. It's just empowering knowing everyone with a Blockbuster card has to wait an extra 24 hours to see the Stepford Wives.

Been wondering a bit about my thinking how just absolutely adorably cute Jason Bateman is - maybe even coming close to sexy. I have no clue where it comes from - but when I watch Arrested Development on Sunday nights ... well, I'm happier. I like quick-witted, charming, easy-smiling, sarcastic men... just - usually much taller than Jason Bateman.

It's 3 am and I could really go for a latte. Fucking Starbucks and their "we don't deliver or stay open late" policy. If I had a coffee shop I wouldn't stay open late or deliver either, that would just be stupid in this town. Maybe in DC or NYC or SF or something, but not here. There is nothing here. There is a local "after-hours coffee club" that has musical talent and poetry readings once a week, it starts at 8 - goes to 10. How in the FUCK is that 'after hours'? The place stays open till ten every night anyway! I shouldn't diss it though - it's the same place I'm going for my Reiki classes. Two more and I'm attuned bay-bay!

Was watching Trading Spouses on FOX tonight, before The Swan (which I NEVER miss - except for maybe next week when it's been shown that they discover the one swan candidate has cancer - I'm such a hypochondriac.) Anyway....the episode of Trading Spouses was so retarded. The one lady is a born-again Christian, which should tell you right away that she's a whack-job - then they switch her with a Jewish woman who happens to live like, four miles from my house. The Jewish woman's kids were fucking brats, and the Christian lady was a bawl-baby who, once outside of her natural habitat of "peace, love, Jesus, 'ain't this a nice fantasy bubble to stay in" just couldn't cope and was ready to go home. I have to give props to the Jewish lady - I wouldn't have wanted to put up with that husband she got stuck staying with for two weeks either....(shudder.) I used to hate reality shows, but I like Trading Spouses and The Swan - if I could watch Nanny 911 I would - but that's when West Wing is on and ain't no WAY I'm missing that this season. Plus, I called CJ being appointed Chief of Staff before it was obvious, because I'm just that good. This is why I need Tivo.

Did I mention we own a 20" TV? My monitor is 19". It's pathetic. You know what pisses me off the most about it though - yes even over the small size of it - is the sound quality. Why - during one show or movie do I have to keep my finger on the volume button? Can't it stay at the sane level I chose from the get-go? Is that my TV or just the way shit is?

I've smoked too much in the past few days. I have to try harder to not do that tomorrow. Quitting cigarettes sucks.

Man I sure hope this week passes quickly - more so than last week did, at least. Next week Venti is off the entire week for vacation time and so I won't have to spend my days all alone. Being alone sucks. God - it's just not natural!

And I'm getting that very deep primal urge to move again. I'm nomadic. It's hard for me to stay in one place for too long because ... well, I believe that if we move to a new state everything will pick up, we'll all be happier and tanned with incredibly huge white sparkly smiles. It never works that way, though - I just think it does - "grass is always greener" syndrome. But, well - the change has always been SOMETHING to do.

Man, 3 more years until my baby goes to school - or is it 2 more? I'll have to check. I will have to get a job when he hits 1st grade otherwise my head will explode from boredom.

A webfriend told me that Internet Explorer is, for the first time, losing market shares. I thought that was interesting.

Did you ever know that you were going to go to bed within a half hour but you wanted a soda, but you knew you couldn't finish a soda in a half hour? That's a conundrum I face most every night. And yes, our water sucks, so it's not like "oh shut up and just drink water dumbass." would work in this situation.

It's been a week since I got my wisdom teeth pulled out. Man did I act like a baby about it and man was it no big deal at all in the end. I still feel like an ass - but at least I'm not in hienous pain anymore. I'm just so glad that's over. I've been taking oral care more seriously lately - brushing, brushing, brushing, trying not to swear much, wondering if that Listerine commercial is utter bullshit or not - the one where it says swishing blue Listerine twice a day is just as effective as flossing. I hate Listerine in any color - but if true, the not flossing/healthy teeth and gums thing is appealing.

How in the fuck did Kerry not win the presidential election??????????

And now I'm back to politics so I'll shut up.






No comments: